2015 MU Elections

There are 3 candidates for President and 2 candidates for Treasurer. The other Core positions (Secretary, VP Communication, VP Academic, VP Social) each had one candidate, so they have been won by default.

Speeches and question period will be 6-7pm. Secret ballot voting hours will be 7-9pm.

Vote eligibility criteria:
1. Be a full-time undergraduate student at U of T.
2. Be enrolled in a program in the Faculty of Arts and Science.
3. Satisfy least one of the following two conditions:
… a. Currently enrolled in an MAT or APM course.
… b. Currently enrolled in a math program (specialist, major, minor).
Specifically, students in other faculties, like Engineering or Rotman, may not vote if they are not concurrently in an A & S program. Every voter will be required to verify their eligibility by logging into ROSI before voting.

Voting logistics:
The 6th floor of Bahen might become inaccessible by elevator sometime during 8-9pm. Voters arriving during that time are advised to take the elevator to the 5th floor, walk up to the 6th floor via the main Bahen staircase and knock on the door on the 6th floor. Someone will be placed there to open it for voters.  Access to Bahen might also be restricted. Someone will be placed at the front entrance of Bahen to grant access.

Regarding campaigning:
1. To prevent MU groups from becoming a mess, the current Core agreed against campaigning on our general group and study groups.
2. Campaigning elsewhere like this event page, your wall, websites, other FB groups, etc. is up to you.
3. Constitutionally: “No campaigning, in any form, may take place once the balloting for the election has started.” So 7pm.

Good luck to all. Here are the candidates and their statements:

_________________________________________________________________

Voting Positions (ie. more than one candidate):

President

Danny Luo
Hello! I’m Danny Luo. I am a first year student in the Physics and Mathematics Specialist Program. I want to be your Math Union President.
Academic Events:
Academics Events are the reason why I joined the Math Union Execs. Talks and seminars stimulate our brains outside of class and can inspire us to pursue certain fields of mathematics. I will ensure that the Math Union will continue to host undergraduate talks, such as the MUGS and MACS series.
Social Events:
Sometimes, we all need a break from math. Social events are where we can get to know each other outside of class. I will dedicate myself to providing multiple social events, such as movie nights, pub nights and socials.
Course Union:
At the end of the day, we are a course union, which means we are dedicated to giving you support and representation regarding your academics in math. Under my presidency, the Math Union will always be open to your problems.
I have been an active member of the Math Union and I will work tirelessly to keep Math Union in the highest esteem, after the tremendous efforts of our previous president, Sams.
Vote Danny Luo

Rachel C. Lo
I ask for your support and vote to be the next president of Math Union because I believe I can amount to improvements and develop a more harmonious and dynamic Math Union for YOU.
I currently hold the position as a VP Academic of MU. During this year, I have been an advocate of a stronger cohesion of the union. With my experiences as part of MU, I believe I am able to accomplish my goals. Thus far, I have been in charge of the annual booksale in Sept. 2014 and successfully raised over $2000. I have also organized a series of Math Union Guest Speakers’ series (MUGs), coordinated the joint union MASSive Spring Social with Statistical Sciences Association of Students and Actuarial Science Club, and many more. I would be honoured and delighted to continue to serve you as the president of the Math Union and make the upcoming year prosper.
If elected to this position, I pledge to you:
- Push for events that unite the Mathematics Department (E.g. MUGs, Pub nights, Paint ball)
- Make more collaborations with other academic unions
- Assist upper year students in the transition from school to workplace (E.g. Career events, Networking sessions with Alumni)

Ryan Downes
I am currently the Math Union VP of Communication and during this position the math union had increased its social media reach by more than 10 fold. When I ran for VP of Communication my goal was to extend the reach of the union. Through the on-line study groups, and organizing the unions advertising we now reach 2500 students.
As President, I will focus on fostering a community for student interaction. I will extend the current study groups to second and third-year classes. I will host the talks that math union is known for and would like to host talks specifically geared to first-year students to welcome them in September. I will have events like pi day and semester socials where we as a community can come to socialize. I realize that people running for the other positions will also have goals they would like to achieve and I will be a person there to help them make math union a success.

Treasurer

Robertson McClure
My primary goal, if I get elected, is to make the Math Union more efficient. My experience with the Math Union has been as an officer. I have attended every meeting required of me and shown up to numerous events. From my time seeing how the union runs from behind the scenes I realize that it is not the most efficient organism.
As treasurer, not only will be deal with the Union’s budget, but will also work closely with the president to advise and aid in the execution of their vision for the Union. Specifically I want to overhaul how the Math Union holds meetings amongst its core exec, as I feel it is not living up to its potential as time and discussions are not used efficiently.
Skills that will aid me in my endeavours is my second major, computer science. I intend to digitize as much as I can for a more efficiently run Union. All in all, I am a hard working detailed oriented individual who has a passion for efficiency. Proof of this is being able juggling Math and Computer Science double major, Varsity Volleyball, being a math tutor and still having a personal life.

Sadia Ahmed
With this statement I seek election as Math Union Treasurer. I became a Math Union member is 2013, and am currently working to get more involved and serve the union members as the treasurer for the year 2015-16.
As the president of the Student Council at my high school, I am familiar with the organizational development and management of large academic associations and wish to use this knowledge and expertise as your treasurer.
If I am elected as your Treasurer, I will implement financial policies which ensure the long-term sustainability of the organization, that are characterized by professionalism and transparency, and that allow to address the needs of the wide diversity of Math Union members as much as possible. I plan to start projects like fundraising dinners and start a small refreshment cafe in any Math building at the University of Toronto. With the profits of the venture, we could add services given to MU members and reduce the cost of MU accessories.
If history is any indication, I have proven my ability to achieve results and not just make empty promises. If you place your confidence in me and elect me as your next Math Union treasurer, I assure you that your concerns will become my concerns.

____________________________

Acclaimed positions:

Secretary

Adriano Pacifico
Hello friends and fellow math students,
I am going into second year with the intent to declare a math specialist. I have already participated in MU as a first year representative and we have managed to accomplish a great year together. As secretary, I intend to work for you – the student body. A group such as MU needs a responsible secretary to remain effective and coordinated. I hope to keep the MU organised and focused. My goals are to ensure that everything is kept on track and that meetings run smoothly, so that the MU may provide you with chances to meet new people at socials and discover new topics at academic talks. I hope we’ll have a great year together.
Remember at the ballot box, don’t vote no when you can vote Adriano. #PickPacifico

Vice President Communication

Annie Le
I am Annie Le, and I am a first year, taking specialist courses 247 and 157. I currently am one of the Officers for the academic year 2014-2015, and I intend to run for Vice President Communication for the upcoming year. This year, together with our Vice President, Secretary and Bluekey education, I helped with the organization of a free midterm review session for MAT136 students. I am also one of the admins running Math Union Facebook study groups for first years in MAT157, MAT137, MAT133, MAT135, and MAT136 students. I intend to widen the focus of the Union. In other words, instead of focusing our student events and purposes on Math Specialists, I want our events next year to also target Math Majors and Minors, as well as science students taking math courses. In addition, I want to extend our study groups to second year math students, and again – organizing as many free study sessions for our students as we can. I look forward to be able to make your upcoming academic year a wonderful one.

Vice President Academic

David V. Pechersky
My name is David Pechersky. I am a math specialist, soon to be entering my 3rd year, and I am running for the position of VP Academic. This year I was an officer in the math union where I was involved in the logistics behind various MU events, ensuring that talks ran smoothly and refreshments were always provided. I also helped organize and coordinate the successful MACS (Math and Computer Science) mini-series which I’m sure some of you are aware of.
As VP Academic, my primary focus for next year would be ensuring the continuation of the biweekly MUGS (Math Union Guest Speaker) talks. That means maintaining communication between MU and the U of T math department, reaching out to profs, and coordinating with others in MU to ensure that talks are well- advertised and run smoothly. I’m also interested in looking beyond the U of T math department, reaching out to notable mathematicians who might be involved in symposia at the Fields Institute, as well as leveraging U of T’s alumni network. This year we had the MACS mini-series, done jointly with the Undergraduate Theory Group, and if elected, I intend to actively look for ways in which MU can collaborate with other student groups with similar interests.

Vice President Social

Yao Lu
Hi everyone, my name is Yao, a current officer at Math Union. This year, I have helped to organized several socials, including the MASSive Spring Social earlier in March. I am also in charge of the promotion for our Guest Speaker Series, and have been creating posters for these talks.
Over the year, I enjoyed myself working for the math population, and am willing to take a step further to take on more responsibilities. I am looking forward to be your VP-Social next year. If I am honored with this position, I will:
1) Continue to organize social events as she already did this year, for example, games night and the hart house socials.
2) Strengthen the connections between MU and other unions through social events. 3) Strive to organize a “social with profs”, during which you get a chance to ask for research opportunities, post-graduate plans, etc. Thank you for your support!

_____________________________________________

The detailed executive roles in MU are outlined in the constitution.